Inspiration

We began the day with a collection of orange and blue post-it notes. The orange post-it notes had on them a series of complaints about the world and the blue post-it notes had a series of solutions. Generation of the content of the post-its at first came from the tops of our heads. 15 minutes into the process, we moved on to more traditional methods, incorporating elements of research into our process such as googling the top 10 causes of human death. From there, we scrapped and shifted from idea to idea until we settled on a project that aimed to limit the time spent between a car accident and help.

We chose this because of the sheer number of car accidents that happen and the fact that in Hong Kong, the current system is only comprised of bystander reporting. This is the same in many countries including India- which has a far greater rate of traffic accidents, more injuries and also more deaths. When no one calls for help, what chance does that person have? This is a question that we would not like to be forced to answer.

With help from Sungjae Chung, we formalized a problem and from there we implemented.

What it does - Purpose

As a team, our bottom line is people. We aim to minimize the time between impact and help in order to maximize survivability in the event of a serious car accident, which is, according to the WHO, one of the leading causes of death today.

How we built it

Early on we decided it would be best to divide our problem into 3 aspects. We had the android side, and Chris/Russell split off to research and begin development on that side. We had the IoT interaction and the Launch Board functionality, which Seth/Calum spent time focusing on. And lastly, we had our presentation and business proposal side, which Amanda devoted her focus towards. The Android team started with developing the bare bones of the app, then receiving and parsing IoT data and then displaying alerts and sending SMS. The IoT team began with learning the basics of the Energia platform, then reading accelerometer data, configuring it to detect crashes, and building a simple vex robot for testing collisions. Amanda primarily helped out wherever we needed it, doing things such as our presentation, and designing our logo.

Challenges we ran into

The primary challenge we ran into was working with Android. None of our team has any experience with Android development (coming from primarily iOS backgrounds), and so we assumed that transitioning would be relatively simple. Working with Android proved much more difficult and complex than we first assumed, and so the majority of our time was learning a new environment and development tool/style.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Our collision detection works very well with a surprisingly low margin for error. False positives are very uncommon, and the cancel window gives ample time for users to cancel a false positive from contacting authorities. We also are very proud of the basic android app we developed, which in itself is not very impressive. It is however a proud accomplishment for us based on our lack of experience with it prior to bitwise hacks.

What we learned

Seth- I learned a great deal about working with Launch board / Arduino type devices, as my experience with them prior to this was limited to basic light flashing. I did the majority of our Energia programming, and I learned about a great deal with that new environment.

Russell- The limited time requirement was pretty useful in forcing me to adapt my programming style to be useful in a timed environment. As a result, I was able to code faster but in a less clean manner with low readability. I also learned a great deal about the Android dev tools and libraries, having little experience with them before.

Amanda- In addition to the limited time forcing me to adapt as a communicator and programmer, I also developed my skill in advocacy as I pitched ideas and modifications for the team. I took a dive into UI in these 24 hours, but ended up compromising and focusing on the real world application tasks which have always been my strongest point and the weakest point of our team build.

Chris- I learned more about Android than I ever hoped I would (not zero). I worked on sending the SMS and getting location data.

Calum- I learned that working on a team, nobody had to work in any field that was too foreign to them. Since we were all working on the same project, we could divide tasks easily. For example, we had some one working on servers, someone building the robot, and someone designing the phone app, all at the same time, so a big system was much more manageable in a team.

What's next for AADNS

If we win and get the hot desk space, we would probably spend time perfecting it and developing it into a fully fledged product, and then look for a startup to sell it to. If we don't do great at bitwise hacks, we will probably maintain it as a personal project for a few of us. The following is the to-do list in terms of priority: -4G connection capabilities -Sound on notification -Cleaner UI/UX -Iron out a couple of bugs, such as random crashes or failure to cancel -Add locational support, so SMS actually gives address rather than locational coordinates. -Much more...

Bonus Idea: We think that if it is a success both in the competition and in our further development, this sort of device could become a basic necessity in countries with high fatality rates from vehicular accidents (ie. India).

(See website below as well)

Share this project:

Updates