Inspiration

We gathered the inspiration for the NOMA challenge as we found the most interesting and challenging out of the few that were up for grabs. Our team thought that the task of working with virtual reality, modelling and innovation was the most suitable so we built upon it.

What it does

The hack itself is basically set to innovate the way people buy real estate: instead of going to every single location by foot or car, the customer would have the ability to meet with an agent or just view the estate from home with any VR headset. But our project does not just stop there - the main goal is to not only be able to view the rooms, but to actually customize them yourself! You could add any furniture you desire just to have a better feel on how a specific property tailors to your needs! In addition to that, the engine would work in such a way that you only need to implement the type of housing you need (office, flat, etc.), the amount of occupants and the system will automatically generate a room with certain types of furniture in it in a specific formation. The last thing to be implemented would be a machine learning algorithm that actually learns from customers needs and makes better assumptions as to what type of house to offer!

How we built it

The project was build by using a simple piece of hardware and a few pieces of software, that being the the famous Samsung VR gear, 3D modeling software BLENDER and last but certainly not least, the Unreal Engine for the actual mapping of items and surroundings. We decided to use the Unreal engine as it has a really friendly user interface called "blueprint" that actually helps minimize the amount of low level code and move building blocks of the program into a more high level environment.

Challenges we ran into

During our development path we have encountered quite a few hurdles: the largest of them being the massive struggle with the Oculus rift. The main issue with the rift was that we spent an actual 9 hours trying to get it to work on our laptops. We went to the extent of trying a campus computer to no avail. This automatically led to a loss of precious time, but we managed to get back from it and come back with a bang! The setback did not terminate our drive and we came out with a finished alpha version of the app that we are very proud to present!

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We manage to deal with the setback from the OCULUS, dealt with numerous errors from Unreal engine, and finally came out with a working product!

What we learned

We have learned a great lesson in teamwork as well as actual software and hardware skills that helped us implement our project!

What's next for VReal Estate

Who knows, the app might one day reach an actual beta version!

Share this project:

Updates