Show Tagged Objects
VR headset mode - Tagged objects
VR headset mode - 360 Tour
Recently, there's been an explosion in a new way to create, share, and preserve memories. It is called Virtual Reality (VR) and it's time is now. Here are some startling numbers:
- The virtual reality market could be worth $30 billion by 2020
- 500 million VR headsets could be sold by 2025
- 171 million people could be using VR hardware and software worldwide by 2018
- Google's Cardboard app has been downloaded up to 10 million times
- One million people have used Samsung's Gear VR over the past month (May 2016)
- Nearly 1.3 million people subscribe to the YouTube 360 channel
- Over one million hours of video have been watched on Gear VR
- 28 million people could be paying for VR hardware and content by 2018
Meanwhile, on the Creators side, an influx of affordable VR cameras are hitting the market. This past year, major brands like Samsung and LG are offering production ready 4k capable cameras at prices ranging from $199 - $499. VR is no longer for the early adopters and hobbyists.
What it does
VR Tag Room360 is a free and easy way to create, store, and share 360 VR images and videos. With smart 3D objects tagging, anyone can add details to the virtual environment for a more immersive interface. For realtors and Airbnb hosts, 360 Tour offers a scroll navigation built right into the scene for the ultimate headset experience. By using open source technology, we are able to greatly lower the barriers of adoption to allow anyone with a VR camera to be creators and owners of their content. The application runs on the browser and therefore widely available on mobile and desktop devices instantly. Users with mobile devices are able to activate headset mode and experience true VR with devices like Google Cardboard / Daydream, Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and Playstation VR.
How I built it
Challenges I ran into
VR developer tool and file sizes require a lot of computing power to work with. A lot of debugging went into maximizing the codes. Another big challenge is dealing with 3D objects. It was tough to keep track of all the x,y,z coordinates.
Accomplishments that I'm proud of
The 360 Tour and Tagging.
What I learned
VR is the future and it is awesome!
What's next for VR Tag Room360
- add Video support
- more tagging details eg. emojis, comments, social
- search and faster loading