👀 Inspiration

I was randomly lounging around on Discord today when I saw a member of a server I’m in mention how Discord’s new font was really hard to read due to his dyslexia. I realized that this is a problem that many dyslexics have to experience in their day-to-day lives. Even further, I found out that dyslexia is a huge widespread disorder, and was shocked to learn that 5-15% of the population deals with it. I wanted to create a website that could help these people in some way. That’s why I decided to create readRight.

✨ What it does

readRight is an all-in-one toolbox for dyslexics or for those trying to help their loved ones with dyslexia. There’s a little section that talks about what dyslexia is and how widespread it is. Under that, it provides various reading resources that those with dyslexia might find useful in their everyday lives. Then, there’s the tools and technologies section that lists many modern technologies that can help with dyslexia, such as a livescribe smartpen and the opendyslexic font. Under that, there’s a short diagnostic test for people who aren’t sure if they have dyslexia but want to see if they might possibly show the symptoms.

🥳 How I built it

I built the prototype of the website on Figma. I used HTML and CSS to code the website.

😭 Challenges I ran into

One challenge that I would often run into is adding background images. A lot of the time, I wasn’t really sure how to add text on top of an image and the text would always go underneath, or the images wouldn’t be in the right place, and that took a lot of searching to figure out. I also had a lot of trouble making the “reading resources” section since I originally had no idea how to make a card layout, and it took a while to figure out.

😀 Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I’m really proud that I was able to make this website in just a few hours, since this was my first time actually coding a whole website in HTML and CSS, and I just started learning the two languages a few days ago. I'm just glad that I was even able to code the website, since when I was designing it in Figma, I was thinking to myself how am I going to code this; and somehow, I ended up doing it!

😊 What I learned

I learned a lot about HTML and CSS from this project, and how to implement my Figma design with these languages. From adding background images, to creating a navbar, to adding a card layout, I pretty much had no idea how to do any of these things prior to today.

📚 What's next for readRight

In the future, I would love to fully implement some of the features that I didn’t have time to do today, such as a functional diagnostic test. In addition, I would love to add a community feature where dyslexics can engage with other dyslexics to create a wholesome community.

Built With

Share this project:

Updates