We wanted to make something lit.
What it does
Party-mode pulls data (volume, bass, mids, highs) from a users microphone, and changes their Hue lights as well as pushes the data to Firehose and from there into S3. The user can view in real time what other people around the world are listening to as they themselves get down to their new-and-improved party atmosphere.
How we built it
Carefully and with a lot of love.
Challenges we ran into
- This was a first foray into Cognito and Firehose. It took us some time to figure out how to properly integrate the two services with IAM and each other.
- Getting quality microphone data and troubleshooting the Hue lights also proved to be a challenge.
What we learned
- How to use AWS Cognito to allow any user of the app to push data into.
- How to integrate Kinesis Firehose with S3.
- How to access a user's microphone and process data from it.
- The strengths and limitations of the Hue API.
What's next for party-mode
Refining the real-time data display and further tweaking of the lighting algorithm.