We are heavy users of Microsoft Teams and Loom. We share multiple links daily and it is hard to jump back and forth between the Teams client and the Browser.
We decided to build a Microsoft Teams App that integrates Loom and Microsoft Teams!
What it does
As a first version, App allows you to display rich card information about a Loom video and play it directly inside the Microsoft Teams client. There are a few benefits we want to bring to Microsoft Teams like:
- link unfurling
- search extension to find the looms you want to share
- reaction and comments
How we built it
- We built a Microsoft Teams nodeJs App with some ReactJS frontend.
Challenges we ran into
- Loom API is not ready for things we want it to do (see above the feature list)
- It is hard to embed the video and make it actionable
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- We manage to build a useful App with we want to improve and submit to the Microsoft Teams Marketplace (our 3rd App)
What we learned
- How to use Loom SDK and APIs
- A bit more about Microsoft Teams Apps
What's next for Loom for Microsoft Teams
- The polish and public release to the Microsoft Teams App Store