We noticed that Facebook doesn't show a nice map of events nearby - it just shows lists. We decided to build an events app that solves this.
What it does
It lists events nearby, allows people to post events, and say whether they are going. Events have heatmaps around them based on the amount of people attending an event.
How we built it
- Kotlin and Android Studio for the app
Challenges we ran into
- Facebook's API is pretty restricted nowadays (can't get a list of public events)
- Android/Gradle build errors
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Built an Express-based API on a Firebase Cloud Function
- Got the app working and communicating with our backend
- Got some sleep
What we learned
- Firebase Cloud Functions are pretty powerful. They essentially allow you to have an entire NodeJS application on them.
- Google Maps Android SDK
- Android Studio takes a while to download
What's next for InstEvent
- Integrate Google Calendar API
- Integrate Spotify API to allow events to host a crowd-sourced playlist
- Somehow get events from Facebook on our app
Log in or sign up for Devpost to join the conversation.