Inspiration

Last year, our residential college had a human versus zombies game with a number of logistical errors. We thought we could fix that.

What it does

The app keeps track of high scores in a customized version of humans versus zombies.

How I built it

We built the screen using a lot of stack overflow and using things we learned in class.

Challenges I ran into

We had a lot of trouble with connecting to databases, because Android/Java has a lot of nuances (Async task) when it comes to using databases. We did learn the basics of mongodb, but we did not have the time to integrate it into our app.

We also had trouble connecting screens in android, and ending up cutting the app down from 5 screens to one screen and focusing on that (you could say we pivoted).

Accomplishments that I'm proud of

I'm proud that we all stuck through it and continued working. Although our project wasn't what we planned, we had fun and learned a lot. This was also most of the team's first hackathon, so we learned a lot about how this works and we will be more prepared for the next one.

What I learned

I learned that you should focus on what you can do and not what you want to do. I think we had unrealistic expectations for our team. But, we definitely will be prepared for our next hackathon. We also learned a ton about version control/git!

What's next for Feeder Scoreboard (Human versus Zombies)

As the team learns more about databases and connecting Android activities, we hope to finish the app over the school year.

Share this project:

Updates