The five of us had similar interests but found it hard to find one another. A lot had to be done to engage with one another.

What it does

We built a product that allows users to post proposals and be able to skim through data to find the various events that are happening around the Urbana-Champaign area within a short span of time.

How we built it

We first wanted to understand how the human mind works and with some research we found out where humans have the most attention when they look at a mobile screen. This gave us more information on where to place the proposals and the design of the user interface to optimize the user experience. We then did some research on what colour palette to use and understood that yellow boosts optimism and purple shows a sign of wisdom and authority. Since both of these colors are on the opposite palette they match well, hence used purple on up-votes to ensure users use it wisely and yellow throughout the app to boost positivity. We wanted to compile event data from multiple sites, we used python script to scrape, arrange and organise the data. This was then organised into a json file, to be sent to the back end for web development. We used javascript to parse the json file and turn into events that would be displayed on the front end using HTML and CSS. To implement a filter system, we used tags along with a json file to easily present the data. The user would be able to interact with the website by proposing events as well as up voting events.

Challenges we ran into

When the idea first came up, we used different terms to describe proposals such as future events, recommended events etc. This caused confusion within the teams and therefore we had to understand what these had to be termed as. We then distinguished them as two segments, proposals and events. We realised that by making it easier for us we ended up making it easier for the end-user to understand product attributes. On the python end, websites were formatted differently therefore web-scraping was a tedious task to be adaptive to various websites. By building an adaptive python script we were able to jump over that hurdle. Since each team member came from different backgrounds, it caused roadblocks as each team member was waiting on one another. We tried our best to overcome that by trying to bridge the gap as much as we can by finding solutions online.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

We're proud of building an algorithm and product that actually showcases data! We were able to visualize, understand the problem from the standpoint of a community member and build a product for them. Instead of redesigning the wheel we understood the best way to optimize a process is to use technology to make life easier and help one another.

What we learned

We learned so much from one another, one of us had no coding background and was able to learn about how an idea transforms from ideation stage to development stage to shipment. Everyone came from different backgrounds and was able to acquire concepts from one another. Another important fact we learned about is limitations. We had to decide which categories and the date of expiry for the proposals to ensure that the data we collect is useful data. For example we chose to use a maximum of a year from date as a limitation for the 'expired by' so that users will think hard about what they want on the platform. We also used an extensive drop down for the categories so that could give them more clarity on what they want.

What's next for eventX

Since we have a proof of product, now we want to work with experienced mobile developers to build a fully functional mobile application with the complete badge system. We want to run campaigns that engage users to enter the system and work towards shipping the product.

Pitch Deck

Share this project: