I've always been interested in Generative Art and the possibilities of creating art using machine learning. With music generation models getting better and better I wanted to try to build something with them, and I wanted to combine a visual component as well. And so the idea for Electric Sheep was born, what would the daydreams of a bored AI look and sound like?
What it does
Electric Sheep is a web application that plays AI-generated music, accompanied with a unique visualization for every song. New music is continually generated so you'll never run out of music to listen to!
How we built it
Challenges we ran into
- There was some difficulty getting the Music Transformer Tensorflow model running in a Docker container
- I struggled getting HTTPS working on the Flask server and didn't manage to get it working in time (so I couldn't host it on my own domain which uses HTTPS)
- It was tricky getting the UI looking good on different displays/aspect ratios
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- Endlessly generating music is awesome!
- Good looking website!
- AI pun song titles
What we learned
- I learned a lot about using Docker, especially with more than one container running at a time and interacting
- I learned more about transformer models
- Learned more about p5.js
What's next for Electric Sheep
- I'd like to train a custom model for the Music Transformer
- Add more to the visualization (something in the background maybe), make it more distinct for different songs
- Song rating system, option to play the highest rated
- Get it running on my own website instead of a random VM