Inspiration

We really wanted to focus on the everyday mental health of the human condition. One thing that we all agreed on was making a interactive experience based around relaxation. As such, we focused on enhancing the act of breathing through virtual reality. To make the experience as cost efficient

What it does

By using a combination of the external phone camera and a mirror attached to a Google Cardboard device, users are able to see their breathing patterns through a fun and interactive interface in real time . This will allow many to feel relaxed as they focus on improving their breathing technique.

How we built it

We used the external dll library Vuforia to create an external AR marker that is made to be placed on users diaphragm. Then by recording information from the AR marker, we can determine how fast users are breathing and provide a dynamic feedback particle system to encourage deep breathing techniques and relaxation.

Challenges we ran into

As our team was formed starting at the beginning at the hack-a-thon, we were not fully prepared and were forced to download much of the needed software to finish our project. This caused a significant delay in our production plan and led to finishing closer to the end of the deadline. Another major problem was finding a functioning AR dll library for our needs. We first tried Kudon and ARToolKit. Kudan was effective when dealing with the play mode within unity, but caused multiple crashes when uploading to Android. ARToolkit was ineffective and had very confusing documentation, so we decided to quickly move on to Vuforia after that.

Accomplishments that we're proud of

Even though we were a newly formed team (as well as being 1st time 'hackers'), we worked quite well together and were able to quickly decide on a project and worked diligently to finish a prototype.

What we learned

How to use external libraries effectively and knowing when to move on from a difficult task in order to accomplish a similar, but simpler task. How to implement an VR/AR experience in unity effectively for Google Cardboard.

What's next for Breathe

Expand the range so that a simple t-shirt would activate the device.

Share this project:
×

Updates