Transactions Bar (Hidden)
Transactions Bar (Shown)
As our world shifts to mobile payments, it's becoming harder and harder to budget our finances and differentiate between luxuries and necessities.
What it does
A simple financial wellness application that allows you to digitize your receipts and leverage state-of-the-art Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing to categorize your budget into unique categories.
How we built it
- React and Material-UI frameworks for development of authentication, transactions, and budget user interfaces
- Firebase API for user authentication and cloud integration
- Google Cloud Firestore for receipt item inventory, hosting images, and hosting client applications.
- Google Cloud Vision OCR for conversion of image text into machine-encoded text
- Google Cloud NLP Content Classifier for classification of receipt items into a taxonomy of unique shopping categories
- Google Cloud App Engine to host server which interacts with the client application hosted on Firebase
Challenges we ran into
- Implementation of the OCR to register the correct information
- Content categorization
- Synchronizing API calls with promises and daisy-chaining
Accomplishments we're proud of
- A simple and friendly user interface
- Perfect carry-out and usage of multiple API's
- Application of Machine Learning to assign receipt items an appropriate category
What we learned
We learned a lot of technical skills such as api implementation, web server hosting, and front-end vs. back-end design.
What's next for SimpliFi
We believe SimpliFi has much more potential for additional features.
Location and Fraud
- Use Google Maps API to keep a record of where all purchases were made
- Purchase made in another country will alert user of possible fraud
User Spending Habits
- Use machine learning to determine the best budgeting plan based on the user's spending habits