Celebrity Deathmatch, and this video.
What it does
It's Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, floating in a void. FOREVER. (We also have a web crawler that creates a livestream of tweets and pushes it to the console while you're on the page. We originally wanted it to display the tweets on screen)
How we built it
We used A-Frame VR for the front end, with AWS hosting. We also used NodeJS and Socket.IO to interact with the twitter streaming API to stream tweets pointed at Donald Trump & Hillary Clinton.
Challenges we ran into
- none of our objects would show up
- our objects behaved in unexpected ways
- a-frame's documentation is horrible
- couldn't get tweets to show up on HTML canvas, so we console.log'd them.
Accomplishments that we're proud of
- actually getting it rendered
- learning how to do a simple VR app
- getting AWS set up!!! omg
What we learned
- experimenting can be fun ;;)
- also, you need a windows machine to develop for oculus
- also, running everything in browser is SLOW!!! get something to speed up load times
What's next for election deathmatch 2k16
november 8th, 2016.